Old June 13th 05, 10:11 PM
John Galban

zaphod wrote:
OK, This sounded a little strange to me, but during lunch today with some
co-workers, someone asked if I knew of some rules regarding interstate
construction. They had heard a bit of trivia that claimed that an
interstate highway must have sections that are straight, level, and long
enough for a plane to land(at least 1 mile they thought.) I had never
heard of such and was wondering if anyone here knows what they were talking
about?

This question used to be batted around on a fairly regular basis in
the newgroups. The upshot was that just about everybody has heard
about this bit of trivia, but no one could come up with any official
source for it. It appears to be an urban legend (at least for the
U.S. Interstate systems).

In some european countries, major highways were designed to
accomodate military aircraft for use in war time.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)