Old November 19th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr
Frank Ch. Eigler

Default backup for vacuum pump/attitude indicator failure

A Lieberma writes:

(Hm, I am talking to myself. :-)

Considering the nature of the 172, you likely don't engage in too much
heavy duty IMC, so backup equipment could be of the "help me land now"
kind rather than "help me fly for a few hours more" kind.

Why would you say this based on a model of a plane? [...] Just
because it's a C172 doesn't mean the plane won't be flown in hard
IFR on a frequent basis [...]

The inherent limitations of range and speed complicate bad weather
diversion planning, power limits altitude reach and icing risk
exposure, small amount of redundancy turns malfunctions into
emergencies. So sure, it can be flown in hard IFR on a frequent
basis, but such greater risks have to be accepted.

- FChE