Old January 15th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Obstacle avoidance between take-off and airway

On Jan 14, 7:02*pm, Sam Spade wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Jan 14, 3:59 pm, "J.Kahn" wrote:

I wonder if the reason is simply that departure in that direction
doesn't meet 200 ft/NM at some distance out, maybe 10 or 20 miles, but
the FAA has not got around to doing the required survey to arrive at a
specified departure gradient requirement so they just declare it NA
until someday they get around to it. * I believe that you have to be
able to have obstacle clearance with 200 ft/NM out to 22 NM from the
runway before you have to have a specified gradient other than default,
which gets you to 4400 HAA.

The 200 ft/nm applies to departure procedures that do not otherwise
specify a minimum climb gradient. Absent a departure procedure the
pilot is free to make up any procedure he sees fit. The FAA has not
come close to visiting every airport and creating DPs for every runway
out there.

-robert, CFII

That is misleading. *For a runway at an IFR airport that has NA, they
have looked at it. *Shame on you for not knowing that.- Hide quoted text -

Then what does your 200ft/nm refer to?? I'm not aware of anything from
the FAA that says you are guaranteed you can depart any runway and
clear terrain if you maintain 200ft/nm. The only reference I know of
regarding 200ft/nm is that it is the default required gradiant if an
existing DP does not otherwise specify a required gradiant. Many, many
DP's require 300 or even 400ft/nm so not being able to do 200 ft/nm
cleary does not prohibit a DP.

-Robert