Old February 12th 04, 10:04 PM
Ron

Can't comment on slats, which implys to me moveable. But, the F-4E at
slots on the horizontal tailplane--fixed sections about two inches
extended from the leading edge of the tailplane sections and running
the entire length.

The slotted slab was one of the mods necessary to compensate for the
longer nose and forward weight addition of the gun. A #7 fuel cell was
added in the tail cone to increase extreme aft weight and the fixed
slots were added to the tail plane to provide increased aerodynamic
downforce to counter the nose gun.

Ed Rasimus

One of my friends who flew slatted/non slatted wing F-4s and also F-15As at
Holloman, told me at medium altitudes, he thought a non slatted F-4 was
actually a little bit faster than an F-15A.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)