Old March 17th 04, 01:44 AM
Henry J Cobb

Kevin Brooks wrote:
"Henry J Cobb" wrote in message
In this scenario the F/A-22s wouldn't be very useful because they would
be operating very far from their bases and even with air to air
refueling they still can't be rearmed without returning to base,
especially if they can't get any permission slips from the other
countries in the area.

Actually, I am ashamed (God forbid agreeing with the HenryBot; could be
indicative of a growing loss of sanity)to admit that until recently I too
was of the opinion that the F/A-22 would have to be a non-player,

until that
is I noticed that Okinawa, where we *already* have basing rights, is

within
range for the F/A-22. Guess you missed that one, huh?

I'm sorry, but you seem to have misread my post again.

Use of Okinawa requires the permission of the Japanese government, which
might not want to get involved in a shooting war with the Chinese.

Can you name a base that doesn't require either a permission slip or all
day flying there and back every time the F/A-22 cycles through it's
limited load of internal missiles?

If you use the wing hardpoints for missiles or fuel you give up a lot of
that stealth.

I like the F-35, but I can't see the point of spending $11.7 billion
dollars to add the "A" to F/A-22.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04391.pdf

-HJC