Thread: 1000km flights
View Single Post
Old January 3rd 18, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default 1000km flights

But I can recall his achievements in long-distance flights in Namibia since 2007 in the OLC. No single one!
I have seen only 3 flights over 1.000 km from Sebastian in this time and these flights were flown in Argentina, in wave condition, in a double-seater with an experienced pilot in the rear seat!

How can he say: "...long tasks over several days inevitably bring exhaustion with them and possibly accidents..."?

Every year hundreds of pilots make thousands of long distance flights in Namibia, flying day by day and the accident rate is close to zero (no single one this year!).

I´m flying there since 1999 and the few accidents I have seen have been caused by unadapted speed in high altitudes (one), by a down-burst during landing in Bitterwasser after a thunderstorm and nearly all he others be physical unadapted people, collapsing in the hot African summer short on the first day after arrival, with jet-lag in their bones. No one by "exhaustion after several long tasks"!

I made 131 thermal-flights over 1.000km and more in the same time (since 2007) and I´m also flying several competitions every year. Believe me, the accident rate in competition is a problem, not the long-distance flights!

No doubt, Sebastian Kawa is one of the worlds best pilots. But his favorite discipline is competition and not every good "sprinter" in our sport is also a "marathon runner"!

Three years ago, we have had the same discussion in "Soaring cafe" (http://soaringcafe.com/2014/12/wishi...thy-safe-2015/) and it is interesting, that mainly people, which are not really competent in flying big tasks are ascribing a lack of safety to our kind of gliding! Why?