Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default New Racing Class

Still laughing - Nice reply!

On 1/5/2018 11:50 AM, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 8:02:12 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
"repairbeing certificate for their glider"?Â* C'mon...Â* PC run amok or
sarcasm...?

Equal parts sarcasm and accommodation for the evolving nature of practical agency.

The rules set forth in 49CFR14 say that you don't need any certification of any type to build, maintain, repair, or modify an aircraft that carries a special airworthiness certificate issued for the operation of an amateur-built experimental aircraft. You don't even need to be human. Your dog or ferret can legally do the work.

However, for every such aircraft, one primary builder is accorded the privilege of applying for, and being issued, a "Repairman certificate" that confers exactly one unique privilege: That of signing the aircraft off as being of a condition for safe operation.

However, the "repairman" doesn't have to be a man. Or a woman. So, what to call that role? Some obvious choices a

Repairman: The current official name of the role--18th century terminology that assumes masculine gender or association therewith. Clearly dated, since a growing percentage of aircraft homebuilders identify as women or non-binary.

Repairperson: 1970s terminology that assumes species as Homo Sapiens. The rules establish no such stipulation.

Repairanimal: I think they had a cameo role in the Muppet Movie. But the rules don't even limit the role to members of the animal kingdom.

Repairbeing: Up to now, my favorite. However, it appears to imply sentience, and the rules don't even require that.

Repairer: That which or whom repairs. My new favorite.

--Bob K.

--
Dan, 5J