Old October 3rd 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Best Soaring Simulator??

Don't forget to throw x-plane into the mix (www.x-plane.com) It is
primarily a power simulator, but has gliders as well. Can do thermal
and ridge soaring, tows and winch launches. Very realistic scenery of
the ENTIRE PLANET! and mars. Runs on mac, linux, or PC. Has a very
fast universal binary version for intel macs. FAA accredited for some
flight training. You can build your own aircraft, and add you own crop
duster strips, otherwise every airport of any size is included.

Matt

Paul Surgeon wrote:
Hi Gary

It all depends on what you're looking for in a soaring simulator but at the
moment the choice is either Condor or Silent Wings or both.
The other sims like SFSPC just haven't progressed that much.

Condor
======
Pros:
- Great for multiplayer racing tasks! There are lots of pilots so you can
fly just about anytime with someone.
- Lots of high quality gliders to choose from.
- The scenery is synthetic so it looks nice from close up - no "blurries"
low down.
- Scenery areas are expanding.
- Has wave lift (although it's accuracy is debatable)

Cons :
- Scenery doesn't depict the real life features. No rivers, roads, quarries,
mine dumps, etc. (I tend to view it as "candy land".)
- The trees are way too big (about twice the size of the real ones).
- Scenery areas are small so if you want to do a nice 1000km+
distance-to-task flight you can forget it. I think the limit is 512x512km
IIRC.
- You didn't mention your OS but Condor doesn't run on Mac or Linux.
- Glider packs cost extra money.
- Major upgrades like version 2 will require a new purchase (I think).
- Aerotow and winch are scripted and are not modeled too well. Rope doesn't
seem to stretch and the winch operator will pull you along at 200km/h if
you let him instead of regulating the winch speed. Tug plane isn't affected
by the environment.
- No trial and doesn't seem to be any money back guarantee which is really
daft in my opinion. What if it doesn't run on your PC or you don't like it?

Silent Wings
============
Pros :
- Great for cross country soaring (especially long tasks).
- Scenery depicts real life features since it's based on satellite imagery
or well rendered synthetic scenery (Norway). This means you can identify
landmarks a lot more easily. This also means the scenery varies greatly as
you fly and isn't the same monotonous textures every where you go.
- All gliders and future ones are free
- Future upgrades (even major ones) are free
- Free scenery for over 1 million square km of Alps (France, Germany,
Switzerland, Austria, Czeck Republic Italy, Slovenia) as well as Sweden
(WGC at Ekeby), Minden, South Africa, and more to come (Harris Hill,
Colorado/New Mexico, South Island of New Zealand, Andes).
- Antares electric motor glider with (HK36 Super Diamona on the way)
- Realistic winch launch and aerotow - the rope is totally dynamic and the
tug experiences the same turbulent and lift. You can watch the tug start
rising as it hits a thermal or drop as it hits sink before you do the same.
- Hang gliders soon (and paragliders a bit later)
- Runs on Windows, Linux (and soon Mac)
- Free two week trial so you can try before you buy!

Cons :
- Satellite scenery is blurry low down.
- Although online multiplayer works really nicely there isn't as much of a
competitiveness to the racing. This is being worked on and should be ready
in a couple of months but Condor currently leads the pack in this area.
- Not as many gliders
- No trees and buildings yet (but will be soon :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px8mgZkzy4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk2gjeDcs5o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaRwDs1-6_I )
- Commercial scenery is payware (currently Norway)
- No wave lift yet.

Some people seem to be very biased in their opinions and will recommend a
simulator based on their opinion without giving any facts so I'd advise you
to take a look at the features you want and make your choice based on that.
Use what tool suites you best.

Regards
Paul