Old December 9th 03, 01:28 PM
David CL Francis

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 at 12:41:21 in message
, Lars Møllebjerg
wrote:

By the way, saying that lift is equal to weight is a bit wierd as the lift
is a force generated, while weight isn't a force, but a number calculated
from the mass and gravity. But I guess it's one of those simplification
making it easier for people to understand.

I presume you are referring to Newton's laws. However if you want to be
pedantic then you are wrong. Weight is a force, Mass isn't. We had a
famous popular scientist who used to ask "how much does a satellite
weigh in orbit?" His answer is zero although its mass remains the same.
Two forces are cancelling out in orbit.

Weight _is_ a force, although it is a restricted case that refers only
to the force that is generated by gravity.

In what way does this 'simplification' make any difference to the
equations? Of course lift only equals weight in steady straight and
level flight.
--
David CL Francis