Old January 22nd 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Denton

Default Frequency of convictions for lying on FAA medical form

Since you brought up anti-depressants...

Am I the only one here who finds it ironic that you can't get a medical if
you have your depression treated and control it with medication, but someone
running around with an untreated problem can?

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
e.com...
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 07:49:58 -0800, Sally Grozmano wrote
(in article ):

Hi,

I am familiar with the potential penalties for lying on the FAA

medical,
but was curious if anyone had any stats on *actual* convictions that

have
occured for this, and what the associated penalties were? It seems to be
"common knowledge" that many pilots do lie, but I never hear of actual
convictions.

I would expect convictions to be rare. It is difficult to prove, since

your
medical records are confidential. Usually, if drugs such as

anti-depressants
show up in your medical tests they just deny a medical certificate.

One problem is just remembering when you went to the doctor to see if that
mole had grown any three years ago. Filling out those medical forms

implies
that you have either a perfect memory or that you keep far better medical
records than the average Joe.

That said, you are playing with your own life and with the lives of others

if
you are not medically fit to fly.

--
Waddling Eagle