Old April 24th 04, 09:21 PM

"Friedrich Ostertag" wrote:

I always find it intriguing, that almost everything we develop today as
supposedly latest techology has been there half a century ago. The only
really new thing in engines today is electronic control.

regards,
Friedrich

Exactly...and it's one of the reasons that, although I consider
myself quite knowledgeable engine wise, when I open the hood of
an ailing engine I quickly close it and get on the fone for a
towtruck...there's just so much complication in all the
electronic sensors, computers etc to squeeze every ounce of
efficiency out of a litre of fuel that I find it daunting.

My wife's Corolla just finished it's lease and I bought it and
leased another Toyota for her. A 'Matrix'. They have an
intriguing feature called VVTi (Variable Valve Timing). Neat
system!...hope it's rugged!, looks expensive if it comes adrift
in flight...

Cheers
--

-Gord.