Old September 17th 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Question About Mid-Air Collisions

Bug Dout writes:

While the poster did not say so directly, the implication of "nobody's
ever been able to repeat it in a simulator" is that the pilot of the
plane was a superman and nobody else is as good. I believe that it
simply means the simulator is not programmed to properly simulate such
an extreme event.

In terms of behavior and maneuvering, the event was not particularly extreme,
so simulating it should not be a problem, although it wouldn't necessarily be
a perfect simulation.

It's likely that the real flight was simply very lucky in a number of ways. At
the same time, it wasn't as lucky as it could have been, since the landing
would have been much smoother had it not been for some last-minute phugoid
oscillation at just the wrong moment, aided slightly by the wind if I
remember.