Old January 5th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Newbie holding questions

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Is there any airport that uses timed approaches? I though this was FAA
legacy stuff. Could be useful during high traffic fly-ins if there is
no radar though I guess.

In the USAF, we used timed approaches off and on in the Approach Control
facilities (RAPCONS), works well when you have lots of recoveries of
similar type aircraft from the same area and they all need a complete
procedure from the IAF for proficiency.
When I was in the USAF, they also used a compressed version of timed
approaches that crammed a whole lot of recovering airplanes into a small
area. It was called ASLAR (Aircraft Surge Launch and Recovery) and was
designed for periods when the radar was inop or it was inadvisable to
turn the radar on, and weather was IFR. It required pilot proficiency
and training in ASLAR and specific airspeeds to be flown at specific
points on the procedure so that a following aircraft would not overtake
a preceding aircraft. ASLAR also had the capacity to allow a wingman to
"drag" behind the lead on final so that by the time they got to the
runway they had full runway separation. It was more efficient than
using radar in some situations.

JPH