Old July 5th 04, 07:23 AM
Fred the Red Shirt

Mike Dargan wrote in message news:cpFDc.124898$Sw.61008@attbi_s51...
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
By election time in 1972 the Republican propaganda machine convinced the
weak minded and ignorant that Nixon was the warrior and McGovern the

dodger.

They're trying to pull the same trick in 2004.

I can remember the 1972 election, but I sure don't remember what you
described. I think you fabricated it.

Well Steve, if you don't think very well, try to not think very much:

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml%3...scheer20021029

There is no claim, let alone evidecne, presente din that article to
the effect that anyone attempted to protray McGovern as a dodger.

I also think McGovern is not being honest if he says (note, 'IF'
I don't claim that he is being accurately paraphrased in the
article.) he didn;t use his war record in his campaign for
reasons of 'unseenliness'. The fact is that in 1972 pointing
with justifiable pride to an honorable service record might have
cost him votes. That is how screwed up things were back then.

The article also says he flew B-24s agains Nazi Germany. I
recall, from 1972, that the most famous mission he flew was
an attack on a Rumanian petroleum refinery complex. I had
thought that he flew B-25s out of Italy to targets in
Eastern Europe. Maybe my memory is wrong here.

--

FF