Old June 1st 18, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

At 01:54 01 June 2018, wrote:
OK, I understand the various interpretations of the "20 year life

limit,"
b=
ut we don't have a rigger locally that will touch a 20 year old

chute.=20

So, apparently there are riggers that WILL offer this service. Can

you
luck=
y folks who know who they are provide some contact information?

I would be
=
willing to pay shipping both ways and pay the repack fees to

extend the
use=
fulness (or potential usefulness) of my chute.

I have a Para-Phernalia "Softie," manufactured and purchased new

in 2000
fr=
om Allen Silver, (who is actually a really nice guy that has provided

gre=
at deal of valuable guidance and service to the gliding community).

I am
no=
t willing to knock him for what is probably intended as good advice

but
has=
to, unfortunately, encompass the entire range of customers who

may not
tre=
at their vital piece of survival equipment properly.

You know, the guys who just leave their chute in a hot car trunk

with the
r=
ubber stowage bands melting into the riser cords, the ones who

leave the
th=
ing in a high-humidity environment and turn it into a Petri Dish

suitable
f=
or mold cultivation and so on.

Any contact info would be welcomed by many on RAS, plus your

rigger might
b=
e grateful enough for the added business that he might buy you a

beer.
Howe=
ver, having been in the company of jumpers, I realize that this is
unlikely=
..

I have a master rigger here in CT that has just repacked my 40 year
old Strong Para Cushion Back (which I bought new, so we know
where it's been all along). If nobody has one closer to NM, I can get
you his info.

RO