Old November 30th 04, 03:07 AM

Another cheap check is to trace one of the blades on a piece of
cardboard and put it against the other blade.
If they match, Great!
After years of nick dressing your blades may not even be close to the
same dimensions/weights.

Dave

wrote:

Kent - Do you by chance know why the prop blades should be in the same
plane as the crank throws? Your description (1 & 7 oclock) is at odds
with that).

In 4 cylinder engines, I think I can see a basis for a 45 degree
offset to prevent second harmonic engine yaw from coupling into the
airframe as first harmonic due to the different swinging inertia of a
two blade prop.

Does anyone else know why or have a different reason for prop
orientation to the crank throws? I know the orientation is critical
on a 4 cylinder 172. A local flying club almost tore their newly
majored engine apart chasing engine first harmonics before finding out
the mechanic had put the prop on incorrectly.

I'd like to believe the balance people would have caught that sort of
thing rather than hang compensating weights on the spinner.