Old March 13th 04, 08:05 PM
Lawrence Dillard

"zxcv" wrote in message
I have seen descriptions of the F-22 having a service ceiling of 50,000

feet
which is 13,000 less than I have seen for the F-15. I thought the F-22

was
much more advanced.in every way except perhaps top speed. How can the

F-22
be the air supieriority fighter of the future when its predessor can fly 2
miles higher?

What gives? Am I wrong?

F-22 is designed to operate at at least 60K ft. Besides, it will be able to
detect F-15s and other non-stealthy a/c, identify them and if necessary
shoot at them with either infrared- or radar-guided missiles without being
seen visually (paint scheme) or detected electronically (stealth shape and
construction materials) until a defender has no real chance of breaking
contact or of returning fire. FWIW, the figures for engine power and ceiling
for the F-22 appear conservative.
Thanks for the post.