Old November 23rd 05, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Lake effect snow

Paul Tomblin wrote:

1. When there are bands of lake effect snow across your path:
- how high up do they go?

Based on my experience on the downwind of Lake Ontario, typically between
5,000 and 10,000.

- how much ice do they produce?

I received my instrument rating during the winter of 2002-03. Most of my
28 or so actual IMC hours during that training were in lake effect snow
during the night out of Syracuse, NY. In the bands themselves and down low
(2,000 or so), there was rarely any icing. I had asked several more
experienced pilots and they all agreed that down low and in the bands,
icing was rare since the moisture was already snow.

However, I have encountered moderate to severe icing at the tops of the
cumulus clouds making up the lake effect bands. Stay away from skimming
and bouncing along the tops.

2. What about if the band is covering the airport? Fly the approach or
wait?

Lake effect snow bands can be so heavy that the airport will be below
minimums and any airline traffic will be required to hold until conditions
improve.

If you are out practicing and have enough fuel, this is an excellent time
to practice approaches through the actual missed. However, if you are
returning with the family after a long day of flying, the answer to this
question will rest on your understanding of the weather system and the
forecast (prog charts).

If the cause of the bands are due to a fast moving low pressure system,
then most likely these bands will not be over one place for long. If, on
the other hand, the bands remain persistent due to a much slower moving
system, then either go somewhere else or attempt one approach (assuming you
are proficient) with the expectation of having to go missed.

Another strategy is to be more flexible in your departure times. Adjusting
your launch time by a couple hours on either side could mean the difference
between landing in a lake effect band or not.

Since there are bands of lake effect snow almost continually from now
until March between here and anywhere I want to go, should I give up any
dreams of flying IFR during the winter?

For me I think it is an excellent time to regain actual IMC proficiency.
Understanding the reasons for the lake effect bands, proper flight planning
(fuel, alternates), and flexibility are the keys to dealing with lake
effect snow, IMO.

--
Peter