Old November 23rd 05, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Lake effect snow

A Lieberman wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:38:05 +0000 (UTC), Paul Tomblin wrote:

Hey Paul,

Can't answer from "experience" but that won't stop me from trying to say my
opinion :-))

Any more experienced Great Lakes area pilots able to answer some questions
about lake effect snow?

1. When there are bands of lake effect snow across your path:
- how high up do they go?
- how much ice do they produce?

Don't know how high the tops are, but lake effect snows do produce thunder
snow, having been there done that when I lived in Ohio. It's a wild
experience on the ground, I sure wouldn't want to be inside a band of lake
effect snow. I'd imagine, it be a pretty rough ride. I think the tops go
up to 15 to 20K based on the inversion levels in the more intense bands.

My encounters have invariably quite smooth.

Matt