Old March 25th 14, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring Club Culture

On Monday, March 24, 2014 1:13:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The Soaring Club of Houston is considering some changes in our operations to create more of a club atmosphere with ownership for the club equipment. Currently we have a scheduling system where a member can show up, fly the glider, and leave. It is the daily crews responsibility to get the glider ready and on the line, plus put it away at the end of the day. This does not create any ownership in the gliders and as such they are not cared for as they should. In fact some of us call it the rental car mentality. It doesn't seem like we have much of a club culture but much more like a commercial operation. What are other club operations and culture around the world like? Thanks, Tony TS1

Our club had a great deal of problems with making the "work schedule" concept work for us. We have a fairly small staff- 4 instructors(was one), 4 regular tug pilots, and a bunch of commercial pilots. We coordinate among ourselves to ensure coverage every day and expect that whoever shows up to fly will pitch in with line ops and record keeping.
First come- first fly
Stay all day- get more flying.
Training takes first priority in the morning.
Soaring launches have priority during peak launch time(rush hour) , usually from about 12-2, then training goes full bore again.
We run some training all day.
People seem to enjoy coming and hanging out. They understand that if they show at 1:00 on Sunday afternoon, they likely will only get 1 flight.
A lot is learned hanging around and helping.
If someone thinks they are too busy to work our way, we suggest they go to the commercial operator a few miles away that can accomodate them.
It works for us but sometimes the guys that show up early to tow and instruct aren't to happy if they also have to put stuff away.
The expectation that everyone should pitch in seems top work for us.
FWIW
UH