Old September 22nd 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

Default VFR Practise Approaches

ChristianFro wrote:

If an approach says DME required but I dont have DME, can I still
execute a VFR practise approach?

Are you asking can you do it legally, or are you just asking if it's possible? Legally, remember you're
VFR, so the IFR procedure rules don't really apply. If you are following the approach procedure (3D path
over the ground) and not causing a problem for ATC, they can't see what's on your panel.

OTOH, if you need DME distance to identify a step-down fix or missed approach point, it may be difficult
to fly the procedure correctly without it.

Also bear in mind you can use GPS in lieu of DME in most cases.

On GPS (RNAV) approaches, can I deviate from the published procedures
with permission from the Tower or controlling agency if I am doing a VFR
practise approach? I.E. Altitude deviation for a fix.

If you have permission from ATC, and aren't causing a safety problem (terrain or traffic separation), I
don't see an issue. Remember, you are VFR.

If so, what is the reference?

Not sure.

Mike