Old February 12th 05, 04:07 PM
Newps

Wizard of Draws wrote:

The controller had spoken to me on the ground only a few minutes before, so
he was expecting me and my IFR plan. My call up to him in the air included
"ready to copy IFR". I assume that was why he came back with a IFR code.

Presumably it wasn't the same guy. The ground controller knows you want
to be IFR. He attaches two strips to the strip holder. Your VFR strip
is half the length of an IFR one. You IFR strip is full size. They
both go into the holder. When you depart both strips get dropped to the
radar controller. That way he knows you want to be IFR. Very simple.