Old February 12th 05, 10:41 PM
Newps

When you called you were VFR. That's a one count. Then you were radar
identified and given a clearance. That's another one count. Had you
departed the field IFR you would only have been a one count because you
were never VFR. It's really neither here nor there from a pilots
perspective. He did not put you in the system as a VFR aircraft. He
wrote a VFR strip on you and then immediately filed it. He gave you the
transponder code off your IFR flight plan. Every facility counts their
traffic. The more traffic count the more you get paid. There's a lot
of scams and this one is borderline. Even though he wouldn't have done
anything different what you did counted as two. One of the greatest
scams is one of the centers, Cleveland or Indy I think, lets two
adjacent centers run airplanes that just barely nick their airspace and
has a letter of agreement set up so they don't have to talk to the plane.

Wizard of Draws wrote:
On 2/12/05 1:33 PM, in article , "Newps"
wrote:

You were a VFR popup first. So even though the code doesn't change what
you did was a two count for ATC. We like guys like that.

Not sure what you mean, but if you can explain and help me make it easier on
you guys, I'm all ears.

Did he put me in the system as a VFR flight, assign me a code, even though I
was still on the ground and couldn't be sure that I would make it into the
air to utilize it? Why would I be a popup when I was expected?

By two count, you mean I counted as two separate duties for his workload
assignment?