View Single Post
Old March 2nd 16, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B Compliance

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 5:45:43 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
I confirmed with the FAA recently what others have said here befo after 1/1/2020 glider flight at altitudes 10,000 ft and above AND above 2,500 ft AGL WILL require ADS-B out. The only good news that I got is that the FAA is actively looking at low-cost, low-power GPS sources for the GPS part of ADS-B out. This is probably because Amazon is promoting package delivery by drones, but who knows for sure.

Flying in the high desert West will effectively be grounded w/o ADS-B out compliance after 1/1/2020. I already have a Mode-S ES (extended squitter) transponder (Trig TT-21), but have struggled to find a suitable certified GPS. Yes, there are units out there, but there size would choke an elephant! Typically, they are 5.5" x 6.5" x 2.3" (give or take half an inch). I don't know about the rest of you, but fitting a monster like that into my panel just ain't happening.

Does anybody know of a smaller solution?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,
Please see below. It is from the FAA site and is one of many Q&As.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/faq/

Please take a look at the last statement as it may apply to you. If you do want to install a unit you may want to wait a bit to see if lower cost, lighter and smaller units become available (including potential "TABs" units)....

Thx - Renny

"How will the new ADS-B Out rule affect me?

On January 1, 2020, when operating in the airspace designated in 14 CFR § 91.225 (outlined below) you must be equipped with ADS-B Out avionics that meet the performance requirements of 14 CFR §91.227. Aircraft not complying with the requirements may be denied access to this airspace.
Under the rule, ADS-B Out performance will be required to operate in:
Class A, B, and C.
Class E airspace within the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia at and above 10,000 feet MSL, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface.
Class E airspace at and above 3,000 feet MSL over the Gulf of Mexico from the coastline of the United States out to 12 nautical miles.
Around those airports identified in 14 CFR part 91, Appendix D.

The ADS-B Out rule does not apply in the airspace defined in items 1 and 2 above for any aircraft that was not originally certificated with an electrical system or that has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed, including balloons and gliders."