Old March 15th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ray Andraka

Default What do you do in the real world?

Tim wrote:
Ray Andraka wrote:

Radio failure is an emergency. You fly where ever you need to in
order to safely get on the ground. ATC will sort it out and keep
other aircraft out of your way.

So any time a piper cub flies it is an emergency?

So you can fly anywhere you want and atc is supposed to guess where you
are going or magically know whom to keep away from your unknown
position? They cancel and stop all flights while you fly wherever you
want?

Does not sound good to me.

For starters, I won't be in the IFR system, nor will I be IMC in a piper
cub. That's a different duck altogether. If I am IFR, I am in the
system. ATC would rather have me out of the system as soon as practical
rather than spend the next several hours tracking me and anticipating
all possible moves on my part, clearing traffic out of the way. Yes,
the FARs say fly your flight plan, however, every FAA safety seminar
I've been to where this comes up, the FAA and ATC folks unequivocally
have said, lost comm in IMC is an emergency, ATC treats it as such
whether you declare it or not, and they'd rather have you get out of the
system as soon as practical over flying the rest of your flight plan and
having to get everyone out of your way.

Might be a little different in a non-radar environment, but here in the
NE pretty much everything is in radar coverage, so they know where you
are, which direction you are flying and your groud speed.