View Single Post
Old April 27th 20, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

Default Glider Purchase Procedure - Annual & Pre Purchase Inspection?

On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 2:14:16 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 6:55:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Yes, cashiers check in hand, then you fly it, comes back in same condition, no worries just but dinner for the rental.

That sounds rare, but ideal, with care in the details.

Seller holds the check with the understanding of a china shop buy it if you break it rule.

Seller's insurance company has signed off on covering the buyer flying the seller's plane. Plane is in annual. Buyer is legal to fly.

Buyer is comfortable that the plane is ok to fly. (I've not yet bought and flown a glider without the luxury of time to go over it and address some safety of flight issues. Still, given the right circumstances...)

Good luck with your search.

I think the whole idea of a pre-buy flight is a bad idea and I would not agree to it. After all, what is the buyer going to learn from the flight that he/she doesn't already know? If the glider is damaged by the buyer the seller takes a loss REGARDLESS of insurance coverage: the glider is now has to be taken to a repair shop (which may be a 1,000 miles or more away), the glider is off the market for months and the glider's value has dropped because of the damage. Worst case, the buyer kills himself and the estate sues the seller for wrongful death.

Tom

I am with Tom on this. The only way I would allow flying would be if someone had time in the exact glider; make and model, and transferred the money before flight. Any damage during a test flight, and the glider would automatically becomes sold.