Old January 8th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

Default Manufacturers And Training

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

GA is definitely in for a hard road ahead in my opinion. The extremely
high costs vs the limited public access and required training can hold
few positive aspects for the community considering the current
economic situation.

Last week our airport's FBO (Jet Air, Inc.) spun off its aircraft
rental and pilot training operation -- lock, stock, and barrel -- to
another company (Iowa Flight Training). This is a new twist (as far
as I can tell) in that the FBO is dumping (what it perceives to be) a
money-losing operation onto a completely separate organization.

Both companies are pleased with this arrangement, and (IMHO) it could
work out to everyone's advantage. It will be interesting to see (a)
how our airport commission handles this (it's always been a
requirement that the FBO provides flight training -- but it didn't
specify precisely *how* this was accomplished), and (b) how successful
a dedicated flight school can be when compared to the traditional FBO
model.

Our FBO has always said that flight training and aircraft rental was
like an anchor around their necks, dragging them down financially. I
sure hope the new folks do not discover this to be true, or this new
arrangement may be short-lived.

Oh go **** yourself idiot boi

Aviation susrvived the depression it will survive this as long as someone
wants to fly.

Hopefully your flea pit won't though.

Bertie