Old November 19th 03, 02:48 AM
John Clonts

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"John Clonts" wrote in message

The gist of my question involves either or both of these aspects:

1) Does "having the runway environment in sight...make a normal

landing"
in 91.175 mean its ok to descend below MDA, fly a couple more miles to

the
airport and then fly the pattern (circle to land), as long as the runway

is
still in sight.

Yes.

Thanks, this is as I hoped. Somewhere along the way I had picked up a
suspicion that I couldn't legally descend from MDA until aligned with the
runway.

2) Once I get to class G airspace on my approach and am clear of

clouds
in
1 mi vis, can I then descend below MDA by doing something like declaring
myself visual, contact, or canceled IFR.

No, you do not get to Class G airspace at any point at or above the MDA.

Ok, if not on this particular example, let's say it was
http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...l/BWD_vr17.pdf
where MDA is 434 haa/hat, and class G up to 700? Do any new options open
up to me once I descend out of controlled airspace at 700 agl, clear of
clouds and 1 mi vis? E.g. I could cancel IFR at that point...

Thanks again,
John