Old December 10th 13, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah[_2_]

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

Well, define "accurate", and "could put in a glider".

I've never seen one, but the rather boxy Zaon "XRX" was supposed to give azimuth information. I believe it was crude ( quadrant or octant ), and I have no information about how well it worked other than reviews. I have a Zaon "MRX", which is a small altitude-only reporting receiver, and find it useful. Too bad Zaon closed operations recently.

Review: http://www.flyingmag.com/avionics-ge...oidance-system

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 2:34:45 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I am not aware of any system you could even adapt to put in a glider that would allow you to get accurate azimuth information off of transponder returns - even in theory.

9B