Old December 10th 13, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:41:26 PM UTC-8, Sarah wrote:

Well, define "accurate", and "could put in a glider".

Fair enough.

If you were able to put TCAS in a glider that would do it, but trying to get azimuth information off of passive monitoring of radar returns (like PCAS does) has to be a hit-or-miss proposition (pun intended) since you don't have the ability to actively interrogate other transponder-equipped aircraft to string together enough bits of information to get good direction. You are dependent on ground radar or TCAS-equipped aircraft to do the interrogating for you which is no always reliable. Some sort of directional antenna added to a PCAS might help in the way you describe (showing quadrants), but I have to believe it's not the sort of thing you could really count on and would totally suck for glider-glider scenarios.

I'd also add that the research shows that no matter how diligent the scan, see-and-avoid detects not more than half the targets that are collision threats. Non-threats are much easier to pick up because of the angular movement of non-collision targets. So, the fact that you see other aircraft when you are flying to some extent generates a false sense of security - your are much less likely to see the one that's going to actually hit you. There are scenarios in the research where successful detection in time to act is on the order of 10-20%. That gave me some pause.

9B