Old October 9th 18, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default ADSB panel display

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 11:58:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 8:59:07 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Since you fly in Nevada the best thing to do is install powerflarm and connect to your LXNAV which will show you ADSB traffic as well. This is my setup and I see ADSB traffic all the time, in addition to glider traffic.

Ramy

Ramy, thanks, I did consider that option, but my expectation was that a dedicated traffic display would be clearer, and important enough to justify another hole in the panel. Do you find that traffic stands out clearly on the LX map display, or is traffic lost in the screen clutter?

I find it clear enough in my LX9000, although you will need to adjust the zoom to see the traffic. A dedicated display is ideal, but so far I didnt feel it justifies another hole. Indeed Powerflarm is not complete, it does not detect UAT. But most of the traffic I am seeing has 1090, I think this is still the majority. And powerflarm will still give you mode C proximity warning for the rest of the traffic.
As for ADS-B warnings in gaggles, this is precisely why you may want powerflarm. When powerflarm detects both powerflarm and ADS-B it suppresses the ADS-B warning.

Regarding tow planes ADS-B warning, this is indeed a problem. Since they usually dont have powerflarm, you will get proximity warning through the tow. No solution for that other then lowering the volume or pressing the temporary dismiss button which is available in the LXNAV.

Ramy