Old September 11th 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Too many accidents

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 9:26:48 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
George Haeh wrote on 9/10/2018 12:57 PM:
So how does one demonstrate or practice a spin or incipient spin without "misusing" the rudder?

[Puchaz excepted]

In my ASW 20C and ASH 26 E, I could easily get a wing drop from coordinated
flight. I never let either enter a full spin, but always recovered at less than a
quarter turn. Easy to do: I circle at about 20 degree bank while continuously
slowing down, always maintaining coordinated flight; at some point as I slow, the
inner wing will drop and can not be picked up with the ailerons. So, spin entry
with no rudder misuse, just flying too slowly in a turn.

The above is harder to do at 30 degree bank, and I couldn't get it too happen at
40-45 degree bank. I did not experiment with different CG positions - mine was a
bit towards the aft side, but not near the rear limit.

Thanks Eric and Hank for this. I recently viewed on YouTube a good video of a K-23 doing spins from coordinated flight. I had a Nimbus 4T start a spin in coordinated thermaling flight. Quick to put stick against forward stop and rudder opposite to rotation was flying in quarter turn and not sure how much altitude loss, but would be surprised if it was more than 75 feet.