Old July 2nd 03, 06:50 PM
W. D. Allen Sr.

For what its worth...

The USAF learned they could not fly solo RF-101 photo
missions without Navy ECM systems. We were directed to send
them 100 of our ALQ-51 deception repeaters. The ALQ-51
originally designed to protect Navy A-3D Skywarriors for
their Cold War SIOP mission. Once the SA-2s started flying
in NVN the Navy began installing the ALQ-51 in A-4s, A-6s,
F-4s, RF-8s, etc.

The ALQ-71 the Air Force was using required four a/c to fly
in tight formation to hopefully counter the Fan Song radar.
If one of those four a/c slid out of formation it could then
be tracked and fired at. The AF ALQ-71 [76?] was considered
by the Navy to function more like a tracking beacon than an
ECM system. For single plane missions it could be more
hazardous than having no ECM whatsoever.

Although OSD assigned a squadron's set of ALQ-71s to a Navy
A-4 squadron for evaluation the squadron commanding officer,
Dick Seymour, never let them be put on his planes. But not
complying with an OSD "command" didn't preclude Dick from
ultimately becoming a Vice Admiral running the Naval Air
Systems Command.

WDA

end

"MM" wrote in message

I have a couple of questions about the RF-101C that I'd

appreciate
comments on. Most questions refer to photos or drawings

from the
Squadron publication, 'Modern Military AIrcraft: Voodoo'

by Lou Drendel
and Paul Stevens (1985).

1. Camo Schemes: Does anyone have any good references,

especially three
view drawings or photos that depict the experimental camo

scheme
patterns carried by several RF-101's at Shaw AFB as well

as early
during the war in SEA?

I'm refering to the schemes other than the 'Standard' SEA

scheme, such
as those featuring a black & dark green pattern with a

LARGE stars &
bars on the fuselage , and even a 'Tiger Stripe' green &

black scheme.
I am referencing pages 20, 28 & 30 in the above reference.

2. Photo Flash Pod: Can anyone comment on the use of the

flash
cartridge ejector pod carried on the centerline station of

the 'Toy
Tiger' RF-101's? A small photo is featured on page 30 of

the above
reference. Specifically:
- what, if any, designation this pod carried.
- any references to further drawings, references on

dimensions or
photos of this item.
-comment on how often or what time period this item was

carried.

3. ECM Pod carriage: Can anyone comment on the carriage of

ECM pods on
the wing stations (?) of RF-101C's. I'm refering to page

39 of the same
reference, depicting an aircraft at Phu Cat AB
Specifically:
- what time period or operations were the pods carried?
- can anyone comment on the specific pod carried in this

photo, or in
general what pods were carried by the Voodoo.
- can anyone reference any additional photos or drawings

of the wing
pylon used to carry the ECM pod/ Also, what else could be

carried on
the wing stations of RF-101's?

As always, I'd appreciate anyone's comments, photos,

drawings,
suggested references to periodicals, books or websites,

and of coarse
any assistance you feel might be helpful.

Thanks.

MM