Old November 28th 03, 10:41 PM
Mike Weller

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:18:14 -0500, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Seems to me that you have listed most of the effects correctly. One thing you
should consider, however, is the fact that the balance envelope for most (if
not all) planes gets narrower at the top. In other words, the more weight you
put in an aircraft, the closer to the center of lift that weight has to be. At
some point, all of the weight will have to be in the front seat.

Not really. You can put 50 pounds 3 feet in front of the zero cg
datum and 50 pounds 3 feet behind the datum and it is the same as
adding 100 pounds at the datum (front seats I guess).

I have read of cross-Atlantic ferry flights in which the aircraft was loaded to
weigh about 1.6 times the normal MGW. In one account, a Bonanza loaded that way
took over 6,000' to get airborne.

I let students take off at 2000 rpm in a 172. You roll a long way
(very sensitive to temperature) and the climb performance is down
right scary.

George Patterson

Mike Weller