Old September 23rd 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default VFR Practise Approaches

ChristianFro wrote:

If an approach says DME required but I dont have DME, can I still
execute a VFR practise approach?

As long as you are under VFR in VMC, you can do what you want, provided that
it does not conflict with ATC instructions (if you are in airspace where ATC
instructions take priority). You need not say anything to ATC about it, since
you are still legally VFR. Just take care that it does not conflict with other
traffic--in busy airspace you may have to obtain ATC's approval and
cooperation to allow this.

For example, if you are told to make straight in to the airport and you wish
to capture and follow the ILS for your approach, nothing prevents you from
doing so, and it's legal as long as the primary means of navigation remains
VFR. If you are told to enter the pattern but you wish to practice with the
ILS, you'll have to request and coordinate that with ATC.

Note that ATC may not provide separation services to VFR aircraft practicing
instrument approaches, and approval for a practice instrument approach does
not include approval for the missed-approach procedure unless this is
explicitly requested from and approved by ATC. Your VFR responsibility to see
and avoid is not suspended by approval for a practice IFR approach.