Old October 1st 03, 01:09 AM
J. McEachen

This brings back the memories of a USAF Captain on exchange duty with
VAH-5 41 years ago. He had maybe 4,000 hours multi-engine including the
RB-66. After A-3 plane commander training in the RAG/VAH-3, he reported
aboard VAH-5 preparing for the 1962 Forrestal Med cruise. He completed
FCLP's with squadron pilots, did his day carquals, and one night
proceeded out with a few other Whales to FDR for night carquals.

He made a nice first approach and got an OK-3, but sat transfixed by the
experience, frozen with his right hand on the fully advanced throttles,
ignoring his b/n's and pri-fly's calls - and the plane director's
directions - to "cut your throttles." He finally came up on the radio
saying, "This is my first #@% &#$ night landing, let me catch my $*@#
breath." As he taxied out of the wires, another firmer voice came up
saying, "Somerset 607, say pilot's name and rank."

Whether it was him or the b/n who answered I don't know, I think my ear
canals were constricting at the moment, but loud and clear came,
"Dursteler, William; rank, Captain."

From the bridge came, "Thank you, sir. Have a good evening."

I know many of you have similar stories, but Bill was a fine Mushmouth
and Heavy Attack pilot. I think several A-3's nearly taxied overboard
that night with laughter. I had the honor of tracking him down several
years ago to get him together with some squadron mates and we talked a
little. He told me that when he returned to the Air Force, he was
current in five Navy a/c including the A-5A/RA-5C Vigilante, something
unheard of in the AF, where one a/c seemed to have been the norm.
Joel McEachen

Pechs1 wrote:
Tex- Even call a Marine 'Ensign'...Don't! BRBR

Nope, we called our Marines 'Ugly Little Sisters'..

Got tired of being called 'captain' while on USAF exchange also..
even when I had a Khaki hat on..
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)