Old March 18th 21, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Groundloop accident at the Senior Contest

On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 1:32:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:
It's usually the early ground roll where you might not be able to keep the wings clear of the ground.

In my ASW-27 on aerotow, I keep my hand on the release until the gear gets noisy. That's when I have aileron control and can change flaps; then hand back on release.

In the 27 the release is near the canopy rail and close to the flap handle when negative. Much more ergonomic than release handles out of sight between your legs on the cockpit floor. In that case even more important to have your hand on the release. In the rear seat of our club Grob we have a lanyard on the release as it's hard to reach without it.

This guy had the same procedure.
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=CA

T8