Old March 24th 21, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Default Groundloop accident at the Senior Contest

Updates to Tom’s condition are being made to club members at Coastal Soaring via email and to the Seniors competitors via Signal app. We are abiding by the families wishes to not send out many posts on the internet.

We do know Tom is awake and talking with friends. His surgery to repair his broken leg was completed successfully yesterday. He has had three surgeries and he is scheduled for another on Friday to repair his foot/ankle. Edie is surrounded by friends and family and is doing well.

An FAA inspector spent last Wednesday morning reviewing the incident location, the condition of the ship, truck location, launch procedures, and a video of the incident from security cameras on the gliderport. We switch camera views based on the runway in use to review flight operations. The FAA inspector was in contact with his counterpart at the NTSB and we hope an interim report will give us more answers.
The video contradicts one of the witness statements and some incorrect information has been disseminating on line. Although the video is from a distance, it clearly shows that the quote taken from an email from Rus Howard, that Ron Branham posted on Rec Aviation Soaring on March 17th is accurate except the impact point appears to have been on the truck’s running board and lower passenger side door. The nose of the ship did not go under the truck. The wing runner on V12 was a CFI-G and cell phone video from the launch of the previous aircraft, by the same individual, did not show any procedural anomalies. Weather conditions at the time of the accident winds were out of the south at 12-15 mph. Takeoffs were being made on runway 18..

As in all aviation incidents, when one of our friends is injured, we all feel the pain. The FAA will release their investigation when it is complete and appropriate recommendations will be complied with. Meanwhile, pilots should perhaps consider whether it’s wise or helpful to offer comments and speculation on an incident they did not see and don’t have full knowledge of.
We have Tom and his family in our prayers and we are standing by to provide any assistance. All the competitors, staff, and management at Seminole-Lake Gliderport wish Tom a speedy recovery.

Sincerely,

Rich Owen
Contest Manager
Senior Soaring Championship