Old May 3rd 05, 07:19 PM

Funny, I thought this discussion was about RACING finishes. JJ, if you
(or anyone else) feels uncomfortable finishing at 50 ft over the
runway, then don't do it - nobody is forcing you and the rules don't
have a max finish height.

But this is racing, not Sunday afternoon boating around. As such, a
certain level of competency is presumed, in order to enjoy the thrills
of the race (yes thrills, admit it...). Why should soaring be any
differerent than other high speed (and presumably dangerous?) sports?
A rookie at Indy has to demonstrate his skill, in return he is allowed
to drive in a very dangerous event - but no-one is forcing him to!

OTOH, I totally agree that if "dangerous" flying is required in order
to race successfully (gaggles, low saves, long low final glides,
marginal weather, low finishes, etc.) then there should be training and
some sort of documentation of it - just as auto racing does. Say a
"practice regional" held to ractice and demonstrate necessary skills
(or do it the week before the race. Or copy how airshow pilots get
their low altitude waivers - get an experienced racing pilot to observe
you and sign you off.

No demonstrated ability, no race, or race with restrictions (no more
than x gliders in a gaggle, no finishes below 500 ft, etc; although
this would be a nighmare to enforce.

So, JJ, please go ahead and finish up there at nosebleed altitudes, and
I'll continue to practice and fly nice low altitude, high energy line
finishes. Because I enjoy them.

Just don't stall and spin down onto me as you are trying to ooch over
that invisible 500' line in the sky!

Kirk
66

It wouldnt hurt day to day flying, either; probably a lot more helpful
than the pretty much useless Biannual.