Old February 16th 04, 10:24 PM
Bob Gardner

I'll try. The primary instrument is the needle/indicator that you don't want
to move. For example, using P/S in a level turn, you don't want the
altimeter needle to move...it is primary pitch; you want to maintain a
standard rate turn, with the indicator not moving from the index, so the
turn coordinator is primary bank. The airspeed indicator is primary pitch
only when in a constant-speed situation (climb/descent). The attitude
indicator is primary ONLY when transitioning from one stable situation to
another...for example, to enter a constant speed climb from level flight you
initially establish pitch attitude by reference to the attitude indicator,
but once you are in the climb the airspeed becomes primary pitch. To level
off it is back to the A/I until the altimeter needle stops moving, at which
time the altimeter becomes primary pitch again.

The FAA loves primary/secondary. Hardly anyone else does, and your
instructor should teach you to meld both systems together.

Bob Gardner

I've got a dandy table on page 2-11 of THE COMPLETE ADVANCED PILOT.

Bob Gardner

"Jeremy" wrote in message
om...
I'm studying for my written and having an awful time with the
questions dealing with primary/secondary instruments for
pitch/bank/power during various phases of flight. The distinctions
appear to be senseless hair splitting, and I'm getting them mostly
wrong in the practice tests. Some of this is due to my study
materials explaining which is the right answer, but not really *why*.
Is there any way to logically learn this in a way I have a prayer of
remembering, or do I just have to memorize the matrix?

Thanks,
Jeremy