Old March 19th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.products,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Need help with Narco LORAN LRN 840

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
I got an old NARCO LRN-840 LORAN-C that I want to reanimate. Sadly I
only got the unit itself, no manuals or cables. What I need is a pinout
of the rear card-edge connector and informations about what voltage it
requires etc. If someone has a manual as pdf or any other electronic
format it would be great if he'd mail that to me.

I have an LRN-820, and the pinout may be the same. Looking at the back,
top row of pins (L to R) are 1-12; bottom are A-N. GND is H & J (there
is no I pin). +14/28v is pin 7. Use a multimeter to verify. GND will
be a dead short to the case. Measure +V in to GND: with multimeter set
on high resistance, turning switch on should cause the meter to show an
increasing resistance reading until an electrolytic capacitor fully
charges. Feed in +V thru a 2-3 amp fuse for insurance. Current draw on
the 820 is .5A at 14V; .25A at 28V.

It probably also requires an amplified antenna. Did you get a little
amplifier box which is inserted (near antenna end) in the coax to the
antenna?

Fred F.