Old February 28th 15, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default new wingtip design

I must admit that I didn't read the article thoroughly, but it seemed to
me by looking at the picture that the thing would enhance wingtip
vortices (the Windows spell checker did not like that word, BTW).
Anyway, I thought the idea was to reduce vortices since they're wasted
energy that could be used by the aircraft.

Aero engineers, please chime in.

On 2/28/2015 2:54 AM, Skypilot wrote:
The biggest problem is trying to prove up the % saved. Then you have to
convince the bean counters.

ND;897867 Wrote:
interesting article about a potential winglet replacement for jets.

I personally think that winglets have more sex appeal though, especially
maughmer's.

http://tinyurl.com/37q5aeb

--
Dan Marotta