Old April 24th 18, 10:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default Wanting to start a new glider club

At 06:29 24 April 2018, Surge wrote:
If it were up to me I'd consider winch launching seeing as those

mountains
=
are very conveniently located.

Some advantages of a winch operation:
1. I would think that a second hand winch would be much cheaper

purchase=
than a type certified, tug aircraft. You don't need the latest

SkyLaunch
s=
ystem to get gliders airborne.
2. Operational expenses of a winch are typically a fraction of those

of a
t=
ype certified aircraft. No annual inspections, no mandatory

expensive
overh=
aul schedules, much lower fuel consumption per launch, etc. A tug

costs
mon=
ey to maintain even if it sits in a hangar doing nothing over winter.
3. You don't require a pilot with a tug rating. Sourcing and

retaining tug
=
rated pilots appears to be a problem for a number of soaring

operations
aro=
und the world.

I'm sure Bruno from Utah Soaring Association (Nephi) would be

able to
point=
you in the right direction if you are interested in setting up a

winch
lau=
nching operation.

https://sites.google.com/site/nephisoaring/about-us

or maybe reverse pulley autotow - would be cheapest system to set
up if ground launching is allowed.