View Single Post
Old October 13th 18, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

Yes! But wait... it's even sillier.... it depends. Some Schleicher motorglider engines are listed as "rotary" and some as "reciprocating", depends on what engine manufacturer they are keyed in under, for basically the identical engine. I should have looked more carefully, I had checked "Mid-West" and that returned "reciprocating".

It would have been great if the SSA was looking at this rebate program.

I am going to try to ask folks in the FAA about it.

---

There is interesting stuff in the FAA registration database. Like what is going on he https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...umbertxt=794FM :-0

Darryl

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 10:16:22 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 11:07:26 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
OK well I goofed there. It applies to non-jet and non-electric motorgliders and sustainers.

Sorry did not mean to leave off the electric. Thanks to Dave Nadler for the correction.

Darryl

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 10:27:09 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
It's back.... https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate

Hopefully may be time for some folks doing ADS-B Out installs over this winter break to get a rebate. Only applies to 2020 Complaint installs (so not TABS/SIL=1).

And the rules make clear...

Type Aircraft = ‘Fixed wing single engine’ or ‘Glider’; AND
Type Engine = ‘Reciprocating’ OR ‘4 Cycle’ OR ‘2 Cycle’

So only applies to non-jet sustainers and motorgliders.

I'm mostly curious how many folks are willing to deal with all the extra effort for $500.

It's of course a silly way of doing this, I would have much preferred to see a program that targeted all aircraft including gliders, maybe targeting those based or flown around busy traffic areas.

It also doesn't apply to rotary-powered aircraft like Schleichers. It is easier to say that it DOES apply to piston-powered aircraft, so Solo equipped MGs are covered. Also, the aircraft must have been registered prior to 1/1/16.

Tom