Old July 12th 05, 05:08 AM
Merlin Dorfman

I served on the HONOLULU in 1944 where we were part of the invasion
force at Leyte (where we were torpedoed and laid out of action). Now,
although I was not a gunner, I thought that I was familiar with all the
different guns we had aboard. I am now looking at a book on the
HONONLULU and included in there are pictures of what are labeled 1.1"
guns in action at the Battle of Kula Gulf July 6, 1943. There is a set
of 4 of these guns, which have very long barrels and appear to be much
larger than 1.1" They must have been removed and replaced by something
else before I reported aboard. Does anyone have any idea what they were
and where they were located aboard the ship?

The 1.1 inch guns, known as "Chicago pianos," were the standard
light AA armament before WW II. They replaced shortly after the
start of the war by the Bofors 40mm quads which is probably what you
remember.