Old July 7th 08, 08:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.marketplace,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Victor Bravo

Default Aeronca 11AC Chief Project FS

On Jun 25, 7:01 am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:

So either you were dealing with a broken 601XL or as I said before you are full
of crap.

Sorry to ruin your day, I'm not full or crap this time. The aircraft
was inspected by myself and two other people from our EAA chapter. I
did not measure the movement, and I rough guessed three inches total
movement, which would be 1.5 each way. I could be wrong and it may
have only been 1 inch... but it was more than a half inch I assure
you. Now Gig, why do you think that anyone who says they found XYZ on
another airplane is automatically full of crap because it's not that
way on your airplane?

I can't think of any
force acting on the airframe in flight that would do what you are doing
with your hand.

A combination of any-all of: vibration, asymmetrical loads from
slipstream swirling back on the fuselage, sideslip angle, gusts,
rudder input slightly moving the fuselage, etc. etc. If you ever did
"slow flight" in a Piper Tomahawk, and the instructor told you to turn
around and look at the tail, you would damn well know how much a tail
can shake back and forth from just air loads!

Now I'm not saying you couldn't bend the attach points enough to make it
move 3" but you'd only get to do that once on my plane before I hit you
with a baseball bat.

You can come out and try to move the stab tips of my T-craft back and
forth all you want... and it won't move... and I won' even threaten to
whack you with a bat much less actually do it. Your comment shows me
that you know your stabilizer can be moved, and you know it's not good
for the airplane.