Old December 31st 03, 01:35 PM
Earl Colby Pottinger

(George William Herbert) :

Chad Irby wrote:
...or they figure they're so screwed in the event of actual war that
they don't bother...

They are not stupid, and have plenty of successful combat
experience, albeit 50 years old.

They have *obviously* bothered over the last 50 years;
their military budget, clearly observable military construction,
etc all point to massive preparation work.

How effective is that? We don't know. It might all crumble to
dust if exposed to modern US and SK forces, or it might turn
out to be the worst thing we've had to fight since 1900.

We should not ascribe magic properties to their defensive
and offensive capabilities, but merely having tens of thousands
of artillery pieces along that border segment, essentially all
in bunkers or other hardpoints, is a calculus that requires
very significant threat level assumptions. If it hasn't
all rusted out, it's a very very dangerous thing.

Any chance of a chain reaction?

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to