Old January 6th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Paint

Thanks for the help everyone!
I need to redo my entire cowl where it's scratched up from years of taking
it on and off. Plus the empennage is looking pretty rough from the bad
things that birds do to airplanes sitting under an open style T-Hangar. I
don't mind spending the money on quality paint and tools, and I'd much
rather do it myself than take it to a paint shop. (Buy the tool once and use
it many times is almost always better for me than paying someone to do the
job that already has the tool...)
I don't currently have a paint gun of any type, so unless someone has a
specific recommendation on the sprayer I was just going to start googling
and see what I can find. I have access to an area that I can paint in that
has electriciy and an air-compressor.
Steve

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Steve" wrote:

I have a couple sections on my Cessna that I would like to repaint.

Could
anyone recommend a book or guide for doing this? Specifically I'm

looking
for what help on whay type of stripper and paint to use, primer
requirements, ...

Are you touching up in small spots or painting whole panels? I've been
looking into touching up spots around windows. Imron is a spectacularly
expensive touchup paint! I painted a spinner a couple of years ago with
an automotive two-stage paint and it's holding up great although I
decided to polish my planes spinner because it "seemed" (another story)
like it would be easier. Any paint system is expensive since you need
to buy the catalyst, the appropriate thinner and other extras like a
dewaxer solvent
Owner painting is okay if it's not a control surface. I've been
planning on touching up with a gravity feed touchup gun because it
needs the least amount of paint in the cup, how were you going to apply
the paint?
Michael