Old July 14th 04, 01:51 PM
Stan Prevost

I fly out of a military airfield. The controllers at this low-traffic field
are always eager to have pilots fly practice PAR approaches because they
much prefer to maintain their currency with live approaches rather than the
simulator. They frequently ask if we can give them a practice approach.
Usually I am flying with a student and I don't want to use the student's
time to give the controllers a practice approach, but sometimes the student
thinks it will be a hoot so we do it. Any pilot can request a practice
approach, low approach only, and if the PAR is operational, they will
definitely get it. No prior coordination is necessary. I guess one could
call ahead to see if the PAR is operational, but that is available via
NOTAM.

Flying over Fort Knox once, the controller there offered a low approach on
his own initiative.

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Robert M. Gary wrote:

If the controller is bored he'll
probably do it. We do practice approaches into Beale AFB and Travis
AFB around here and I've never known anyone to call ahead of time.

Don't controllers need to maintain currency on ASR/PAR approaches? I seem
to recall hearing this somewhere...

- Andrew