Old April 21st 04, 08:00 PM
Peter H. Granzeau

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:46:47 GMT, "Thomas Schoene"
wrote:

KDR wrote:

Many thanks for all the replies. Compared with F-76, how expensive is
JP-5?

http://www.sd.fisc.navy.mil/FUEL/FUEL-INFOR-PAGE.HTML

JP-5 $1.03/gallon
DFM $0.98/gallon (DFM is Diesel fuel, Marine, another term for F-76)

That's roughly 5% difference. It may not seem like much, but considering
the Navy's overall fuels budget, it can really add up.

Is there any official move in the RN or USN to adopt JP-5 as a
single universal fuel?

Not that I've ever heard of.

As long ago as 1960, my Diesel-powered ship made a NATO exercise and
was refueled during the exercise with JP-5 (the oilers were carrying
no Diesel fuel). I believe the fuel comsumption was slightly worse.
I don't know the long-term effects on the Diesel engines, as JP-5 is
missing some lubricant as compared to JP-5, I understand. This was
just one two-month exercise, of course, but the matter was being
considered even then.

Do modern gas turbine powered ships use Diesel fuel, or is there yet
another formulation of fuel for them?